Tuesday 21 October 2014

FM and Going Gluten Free

When I was diagnosed with FM, my dietician suggested that “going gluten free” may help, as this would also help to decrease my intake of fructans. This is because wheat contains high amounts of fructans, as discussed in this previous post, as well as gluten. However, gluten free is not always fructose friendly, and this is something that I often struggle with, particularly with the current popularity of gluten free foods. This week, I will discuss the possible connections and differences between gluten free and fructose friendly foods, and my personal experiences with this.  

GLUTEN FREE FOODS

It is very common today to find gluten free variations of many foods which are typically made with wheat flour – bread, pasta, wraps, pizza bases, cakes, biscuits, and even Weet-Bix! I have to say that in my experience, these gluten free foods are sometimes unpleasant – they can be dry, heavy, and even tasteless. Additionally, I find that gluten free pasta does not fare well as leftovers, as they often lost their consistency. However, there are also some things that are very well made – flourless cakes, for example.
Here are my favourite gluten free products so far:






DIFFERENT TYPES OF FLOUR

In order to make things gluten free, i.e. wheat free, there are many different flours that are used. This website gives a comprehensive list of possible alternative flours, but the most common ones in my experience are as follows:

  • Maize/corn flour
  • Potato flour
  • Rice starch
  • Spelt flour
  • Tapioca flour

These flours are often made in combination to help get a good balance of textures, like in the recipes listed here. If you are mixing your own gluten free flour, the basic formula to follow is 40% whole grain flours, and 60% white starches.

The problem for those with FM is that some alternative flours are high in fructose or fructans. As previously discussed, I am very sensitive to corn flour. This can also be a problem when different flours are used as thickeners in sauces or stocks.

POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES TO GOING GLUTEN FREE

In my experience so far, it is sometimes better to find other alternatives to gluten free foods. For example, I find that sourdough bread is a good alternative to gluten free bread, as it does not contain problematic ingredients like corn flour, and still tastes good. On the other hand, when ready-made gluten free foods are not suitable, a good option is to make your own flours, stocks or sauces.

What are your experiences with FM and gluten free foods? Please share below.

No comments:

Post a Comment